SHE Representative (HS1)
Unit Standard 259639
Place: New Germany
Duration: 1 Day
This unit standard is for those people giving an induction of health and safety principles to new personnel and the person credited with this unit standard is able to explain the duties of both the employees and employers concerning Occupational Safety and Health in the workplace. Learners will be able to understand the requirements that apply to persons entering the workplace and performing any duties therein as well as the requirements for the use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), housekeeping and emergency procedures that apply to the workplace.
The course covers
Duties of employer and employees with regard to occupational health and safety in the workplace and in terms of legislation. The importance of identifying and addressing hazards and associated risks and consequences to employer and employee. General safety rules, including alcohol and drugs, authorised access to work in terms of legal and organisation requirements. Signage (including mandatory, information, warning signs and colour coding) as well as lockout procedures. The limitations, correct usage, maintenance and storage of PPE. The importance of good housekeeping in terms of health and safety. Emergency escape routes, assembly points and communication.
The qualifying learner is capable of:
- Explaining both employer and employee duties with regard to occupational safety and health in the workplace
• Explaining the general safety rules in a workplace
• Explaining the use and application of Personal Protective Equipment in the workplace.
• Explaining the need for good housekeeping in the workplace.
• Explaining and applying emergency procedures in the workplace.