The purpose of this qualification is to :
- Provide the learner with the knowledge, understanding, skills and experience to
become a Bookkeeper. This will aid individual development and enhance the
employment prospects of the learner, as well as social transformation through the
formal acknowledgement of competencies, skills and knowledge.
- Equip the learner with a Qualification that can be used as an introduction to the field
of Accounting. Successful completion of this qualification will give the learner the
knowledge and skills required not only to perform his/her Accounting job efficiently,
but also to proceed on a path of life-long learning with Qualifications at a higher level.
- Provide employers and others with an adequate basis for assuring that those learners
gaining the Qualification are competent to act as Bookkeepers, providing accounting
support and recording the day-to-day financial transactions of the business for
companies and other organisations.
- Encourage the widest possible access to the Accounting profession and Accounting
Qualifications by making it possible for the following learners to obtain a bookkeeping
– Those who have performed an Accounting and/or Bookkeeping function in their
organisation for some time without a formal Qualification in Accounting.
– Those who were previously disadvantaged and who were unable to continue their
learning in the Further Education Band.
– Those who are contracted in a learnership agreement in the Accounting sector.
– Those who have recently taken up a position as a support staff member in an
Accounting section of a medium to large organisation.
- Bookkeeping to Trial Balance (BKTB)
- Payroll and Monthly SARS Returns (PMSR)
- Computerised Bookkeeping (CPBK)
- Business Literacy (BUSL)
Duration: 12 Months
- Grade 10 (Std 8) or equivalent.
- No prior accounting knowledge needed. You must be at least 16 years old.
What Will I Learn To Do?
- Monthly bookkeeping to trial balance (manual and computerised).
- Disclose profit and financial position; reconcile suppliers, inventory and bank statements.
- Calculate PAYE/UIF/SDL.
- Payroll tax and other deductions.
- EMP201, EMP501, IRP5, IRP6 and IT3a documents and VAT returns.